Saturday 19 May 2012

Just cos!

Some days I have words bursting out my ears, boiling up inside me, "Let me out! Let me out!" I see pictures, or read comments - or I listen to myself speak and I think about my motives. I've got things I want to say, questions I want to ask, opinions I want to debate, thoughts I need to consider...

Yet I haven't finished a blog post for two weeks. I've got some scraps of paper - filed - but I've had to discipline myself to get other priorities done first - aaaargh!!

One morning I woke up with an inspiration and wrote a few hundred words, but I have to check my facts before I publish. Some days I find myself blobbing out in front of the computer, avoiding my 'must-dos' and wanting to play with words, yet knowing I can't allow myself the indulgence until I've satisfied my clients.

I pretend I'm working, but really I'm reading news items, blog posts, opinion pieces, looking at my stats... I'm thinking about how I can promote my blog, reach more people, and whether I should set up Follow by Email, or Subscribe, (the systems for which I'm still trying to figure out.)

I'm torn between wanting to reach more readers and wanting to know how many there are, and where they're from. Maybe that's because of my background - every newspaper wants to know its readership, every orator needs an audience...

I'm trying to decide what's really important. Where's the bottom line? Why do I do what I want to do? Why do I want to do it?

And the simple answer is, "Just cos!" There's a world wide web out there, and I want to make a difference. I want to pass on what I've learnt. I want to leave my mark.

I want to take part in the great discussion...

I wanna write cos I wanna write!

No comments:

Post a Comment