Monday 7 May 2012

Ruts in the road

My Dad used to say that you should drive as if every other driver on the road is an idiot!

Defensive driving at its best, and his advice was never more applicable than now. After more than 30 years of driving, this not-so-old dog has had to learn some new tricks, because 'they'  have gone and changed the rules.

I really have to concentrate - and keep an eye on the "idiot" facing me a wee while longer, to make sure they too are up with the play.

Don't get me wrong, I like the new rules, and on this occasion, the law is not an ass. But no longer can I drive on auto-pilot! No longer can I afford to rely on yesterday's knowledge.

You don't have to look too hard to see a parallel in other arenas of life, where so often we view today's experiences through the lens of yesterday's disappointments or even successes.

New circumstances, new people, new environment - yet so often we react rather than respond, based on past hurts or prejudices. Unconsciously we expect the future to be the same as the past.

How can we help ourselves? The same way I learnt the new road rules:

By reading the new rules, and watching out for others. By allowing ourselves to start with a new slate. By letting go the old rules, and looking for and embracing the new. By visualising the future, and moving towards a new destination, one step at a time. By knowing what to expect, and being ready to make choices. By asking others for their help. By recognising that the other "drivers" also need time to realise there's been a change!

It'll take time, and determination, and maybe a few fails along the way, but in the end, the hope of having fewer major crashes will make it worth the effort.

In short, my thinking has to change!
I need to make a decision and act on it!
I need to download an update!
I need to correct the bias!

I need to get out of the rut - and maybe you do too...

No comments:

Post a Comment