Wednesday 2 April 2014

A celebration of Life

Last Sunday I was privileged to attend the adult baptism of a good friend, Peter Barefoot. Peter is from China, and is currently on a working holiday in Hawke's Bay. Here is his story, in his words:

L-R: Jakeman Moanaroa, Peter Barefoot, Michael Harbers. Adult baptism in the Ngaruroro River, near the Chesterhope Bridge, Pakowhai, Hastings photograph
 L-R: Jakeman Moanaroa, Peter Barefoot, Michael Harbers.
Adult baptism in the Ngaruroro River, near the Chesterhope Bridge, Pakowhai, Hastings
 
L-R: Jakeman Moanaroa, Peter Barefoot, Michael Harbers. Adult baptism in the Ngaruroro River, near the Chesterhope Bridge, Pakowhai, Hastings photograph

"Hi Duncan, and Michael,

Thank you for these wonderful photos.

Yesterday was amazing. But I don't think I thanked everybody for being there for me. I'm very sorry for that. I'm better at putting my thoughts down into writing than coming up with a speech without preparation.

So, could you please forward this email to everyone attended my baptism last Sunday to let them know how grateful I am?

The past few months are some of the best months of my life.

When I was in China, I thought that God had abandoned me, I thought that He had left me all alone in that faithless land to let nature run its course on me. Many things are so messed up in China that they made me feel frustrated all the time. I just wanted to get out of there, I needed an escape. I thought that if I could just manage to leave all the bad things behind me somehow, I would be okay. So when opportunity presented itself, I seized it and came to New Zealand, thinking about never to return to that hellhole ever again.

However, after a couple of months in NZ, I realized that no matter where I go, there's always a piece of China in me. What I need more than a change of scenery is a change of my own heart. You can dodge a bullet, but you can't find peace without taking care of the trigger man. You must look down the barrel of the gun and survive.

Like Pastor Mike Connell says: when God presents a mountain before you, He doesn't want you to take the easy way out. He wants you to tackle with it. He wants you to conquer it, so you can become a tougher character.

So, God helps me understand that I don't need to run. I can go home and enjoy life, as long as I have faith in him, as long as I am confident in my own strength. As long as I believe. Fear no trouble, fear no evil. God will balance my high and low.

Though I don't know if I'm good enough to have Him as my leader, I drink, I swear, I'm pessimistic, I'm mischievous, I'm too rock n' roll. I'm always like:" Oh Lord, make me pure, but not yet." But I know, and I always know that deep down in me, I have a soul that only wants to do good. I hope God can forgive me for my little faults, I hope He can forgive me for being only human. Because I need him in my life.

Therefore, I gave my heart to the Lord.

And I thank you all, for all that you have done for me, for encouraging me all the way, for witnessing my new birth."

Psalm 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
 
Peter's baptism was followed by prayer and prophecy and an awesome afternoon tea back at the house J
 
Graham Hodder shares some words of wisdom photograph
 Graham Hodder shares some words of wisdom
 
Marlene Greaves shares a prophetic message photograph
 Marlene Greaves shares a prophetic message

Tere Ngarouru gives an encouragement photograph
Tere Ngarouru gives an encouragement

And there stands a happy man photograph
And there stands a happy man J

No comments:

Post a Comment